Thursday, February 5, 2009

Kids Say the Darndest Things

I love being a teacher for many reasons. Kids are my passion. Sometimes I think I'd rather hang out with kids than adults. No offense, but kids are just so pure and raw. There is no hidden agenda. I love the way they see the world through those little eyes. It can be a niece or nephew or a cute kid in the mall, I love the chance to get to interact with anyone under 4 feet tall. Here are a few of my latest encounters with kids.

This is a note one of my kids in my class gave me after Christmas break. I love this kid. At home, I reference him as my little OCD boy. He wants to complete every task perfectly and can get very stressed out if it doesn't fall into place that way. He's a big helper and always insists "there has to be something in your whole room that I can help you with." He says this after already asking me 5 times in the past 30 minutes.

"Dear Mrs. starke

I missed you so much that I Like you so much so much so much so much thet I was adout to cry."


This is a note I got from a 3rd grader in another class.
The paper was folded and on the front was the word "today".

"M.rs Starke you are invitid to my Birth day ther well be games in my back yard ther will be dogs but they don't bit."


One day one of my students in my class was having a hard time paying attention. This is very much a regular thing for him. I told him he needed to do his best and pay attention. He looked up at me and, as if to explain himself, said,

"My heart isn't working."

I wanted to laugh out loud, but instead I simply said, "Yes, your heart is working or you wouldn't be alive."

That seemed to do the trick and he was ready to get back to work.

Last but not least, I was on a mat at the Y stretching today. I was facing the windows that face the hallway. A little guy about 3 years old comes up to the window and stares at me. I wave at him expecting him to run away. Instead, his face opened in a huge grin and he waved. He starts to talk to me, but of course, I can't hear him through the glass. I mouthed "What?" and pointed to my ear. He said it bigger and louder. I so wish I could have known what he was saying because it seemed important. Then, all of a sudden, he puts both hands up like bear claws and opens his mouth and screams. I still can't hear him which makes the whole scene even cuter. I pretend to jump and be scared which he loved. Then, in a flash, he ran down the hallway and was gone.
Who knows....maybe I'll see my little workout buddy tomorrow.

No comments: